ma petite poubelle

< Previous | Next >

verbivoracious

English, USA
Hi, all --

A friend insists that "ma petite poubelle" can be a term of endearment. I'm familiar with "mon petit chou," but am wondering if this person is indeed correct or just pulling my leg! Which is it? Thanks!

• verbivoracious

English, USA
    Zaby, no kidding?? I never knew there was a patisserie type of chou! Wow. I feel a lot better now. I'm sure a lot of English speakers assume it's the other type -- I certainly did! Thanks very much for that information.

Hmmmmm...maybe I should change my forum name to LaPoubelle.....?

zaby

I'm sure a lot of English speakers assume it's the other type
    Oh yes I've met a lot ! That's why I added my comment :) My mission on this earth is to spread the Good News that French endearment word chou comes from le chou à la crème not the cabbage ;)

Hmmmmm...maybe I should change my forum name to LaPoubelle.....?
    If you wish, answering your upcoming posts, I can begin with "Ma petite poubelle," :D

verbivoracious

English, USA
    Well, Zaby et al, I'm embarrassed to say that my sweetie just informed me that you're right -- my leg was indeed being pulled!

Anyway, the good part is that I didn't know a thing about the patisserie type of chou. So, that's something all French speakers would understand as a sweet, rather than a cabbage? (Kind of the same way that Germans didn't Really think John F. Kennedy was describing himself as a jelly doughnut when he said, "Ich bin ein Berliner"?

< Previous | Next >