Macedonian: ќе vs би

cr00mz

Swedish
Hello

I is true that both of these can be used for sentences like "if x, would y" or something like: "if the food wasn't bad, I would eat it", or "If the train wasn't late, I would be on time", or "I would have come, if I had the time"

• Gnoj

Macedonian
    Shouldn't it be "If the train wasn't late, I would have been on time"?

ќе = will, shall, am/is/are going to
    би = would

ќе can also be would, but only in past tense:
    ќе бев = I was going to be / I would have been
    ќе дојдевме = We were going to come / We would have come

Anicetus

Croatian
    Unfortunately, I don't really know anything on the subject, but if it's of any help:

Shouldn't it be "If the train wasn't late, I would have been on time"?

It depends on what exactly you want to say. Weren't/wasn't and would be refer to unreal present or future in this case, while had been and would have been refer to unreal past. So, the way I understand it is:
    "If the train weren't/wasn't late, I would be on time." - The train is late (it hasn't arrived yet), therefore I'm going to be late.
    "If the train weren't/wasn't late, I would have been on time." - The train is late (it hasn't arrived yet), so I'm late already; had the train come in time, I would have already arrived where I had to.
    "If the train hadn't been late, I would have been on time." - It's all in the past; the train arrived late, so I was late too.

I think English speakers do sometimes replace the plusquamperfect subjunctive (or whatever it's called in English; had been) with past subjunctive (weren't/wasn't), so that the second sentence means the same as the third one, but the first one still retains a different meaning. :)

cr00mz

Swedish
    How do you use would in non-past tense?

Do you mean something like "What would you like to eat"?

cr00mz

Swedish
    can you also use ќе + past tense for "should have x (eaten/run/bought etc.) something"

Gnoj

Macedonian
    How do you use would in non-past tense?
    Do you mean something like "What would you like to eat"?
    Што би сакал(а) да јадеш? (sg.)
    Што би сакале да јадете? (pl.)

or simply
    Што сакаш да јадеш? (sg.)
    Што сакате да јадете? (pl.)

can you also use ќе + past tense for "should have x (eaten/run/bought etc.) something"
    You can use it for "would have".
    I would have told you = Ќе ти кажев

"Should have..." would be "Требаше да..."

cr00mz

Swedish
    does Требаше да.. change for person? if "I" would it then be trebav? or is that one sort of frozen.

Also isn't that more like "Needed to..."