Macedonian: Final devoicing

Duya

Whatever
Does standard Macedonian exhibit final devoicing of obstruents (and fricatives)? How about dialects?

I'm asking because I was tempted to "fix" the Wikipedia entry on Darko Pančev:
Darko Pančev (Macedonian pronunciation: [ˈdarkɔ ˈpantʃɛf],

I haven't noticed it myself before, but then, my contact with Macedonian is rather limited. Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of The World hints that it does ("Final devoicing is atypical for Gheg and BCS,... and it appears rather to be a Macedonian feature extending into the region", as well as Friedman ("The dialects of [Romani] have the same type of voicing phenomena as in Macedonian, viz., final distinctively voiced consonants are devoiced"), but I haven't found a definitive statement. I'd like an explanation from native speakers.

• Gnoj

Macedonian
    Yes, that kind of devoicing does exist in Macedonian and it is typical for native speakers. When a sentence ends with a voiced consonant, it is devoiced. As a matter of fact that goes for all single words ending with a voiced consonant, even when they are used in sentenced and followed by a word beginning with a vowel (жив=>žif, жив е=>žif e, but живее>živee; град=>grat, мојот град е=> mojot grat e, градот = gradot). There are also a lot of cases where в/v is kept in writing, but pronounced as ф/f, even in words where it isn't followed by a voiceless consonant, like станав=>stanaf, станавте=>stanafte, but станавме=>stanafme.

Last edited: