Macedonian: to afford

cr00mz

Swedish
I've been having some trouble finding how to translate the word to afford. Google translate seems to use the word dozvoli (to allow), google translate however is rarely very accurate.

Thanks in advance

• Lychnidos

Macedonian
    Although дозволи's main meaning is allow, it's also the verb most commonly used to express the meaning of the verb afford.
    Ex.
    Тој не може да си дозволи автомобил.
    He cannot afford a car.

Another verb that can be used is приушти, though it's use maybe more localized.
    About позволи, I am familiar with it but cannot recall to have heard once in conversation, at least where I live.

cr00mz

Swedish
    How would you say "allow myself", wouldn't that also be si dozvoli? I feel as if the two phrases have somewhat similar meaning, though not quite, a different nuance to them.

Lychnidos

Macedonian
    Yes. To say "allow myself" you would use дозволи, that's after all the verbs main use. Even in English I can hardly think of a sentence where replacing afford with allow changes something substantial in the meaning.
    If you want a verb that's corresponds most to afford use приушти. I think you can get some confused looks from people with позволи, if they don't already hear it as дозволи.

cr00mz

Swedish
    Thanks for your help. I dont really know how often one uses the phrase "allow myself", might have been a bit contrived.