Madam pronunciation (UK)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Pimothy, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Pimothy Member

English + Dutch, UK
    Dear all,

Is there a difference in the pronunciation for the two meanings of the word 'madam'?

I am referring here to these two meanings:
    - "a polite term of address to a woman, originally used only to a woman of rank or authority"
    - "the woman in charge of a house of prostitution"

I am mainly concerned with the pronunciation in British English.

Thank you very much,
    Pimothy

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    They're pronounced the same, Pimothy. As is the "madam" in 'she's a proper little madam', said of a girl-child who is rather full of herself.

3. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, both /'mædəm/ or MADDuhm. Very, very occasionally, I hear people trying to approximate the French pronunciation /mə'dɑːm/ or muhDAHM (although I would spell it 'madame' then).

4. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Yes. But when you meet the Queen you are told to call her 'Your Majesty' in your first response to whatever she says to you, and thereafter "ma'am" (pronounced 'mam').

5. Pimothy Member

English + Dutch, UK
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Thank you very much for the answers.

I had always been under the impression that for the second meaning ("the woman in charge of a house of prostitution") the pronunciation was as it is in French. Thanks for setting me straight!

6. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For more on pronunciation, see Madam or Mam

I have no idea how the madam in charge of a brothel is pronounced, of course, but I would be surprised if she routinely had a different pronunciation.