made an appointment for tomorrow

< Previous | Next >

bamboo--tw

ROC/Mandarin
The doctor is busy today, so I made an appointment for tomorrow.

Hi,

Is "for" in the above optional? If not, what does it mean? Thanks.

• Tower of Babel

USA
    USA (American English)
    The word "for" is not optional.

"I made an appointment for tomorrow" means that the appointment will occur tomorrow.

"I made an appointment tomorrow" makes no sense, because it is trying to say that the time at which the appointment was made is tomorrow. This is impossible, because tomorrow is in the future, but the word "made" is in the past tense.

bamboo--tw

ROC/Mandarin
    Thanks, ToB.
    For the sake of interests, what does "for" refer to? Is it similar to the "for" in "What are we going to have for dinner?"

sound shift

English - England
    I agree with ToB. "I made an appointment tomorrow" makes no sense; "for" is required. "For" in this case indicates that the appointment will occur tomorrow. It does not mean the same as the "for" in "What are we going to have for dinner?" "For" has lots of meanings.

sound shift

English - England
    "For" here means "which will take place", bamboo.
    However, native speakers do not say "I made an appointment which will take place tomorrow". "I made an appointment for tomorrow" is a natural and common way of expressing the idea.
    Very often, "for" cannot be replaced by a single word.

TeddydFromRussia

Russian
    But if I use a day of the week (e.g. Friday) in place of tomorrow, should I use "for" or "on" or are both correct?
    "I'd like to make an appointment on Friday please?"
    "I'd like to make an appointment for Friday please?"

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    You would "make an appointment for Friday" if you want the appointment to take place on Friday.

You would "make an appointment on Friday" if you want the scheduling of the appointment to take place on Friday. The appointment could take place on any day.

"For Friday" modifies "appointment"; "on Friday" modifies "make."

< Previous | Next >