made for mass markets

gil12345

chinese
Hi there,

I got a sentence from American entrepreneur which goes

"But the sheer size of the nation--its vast geographic expanse and its swelling population--made for mass market that few individually run businesses could serve."

For a while, I couldn't understand it. Now I am assuming that the original sentence could be rewritten as "But the sheer size of the nation.....made that few individually run businesses could serve for mass market." The author did the sentence that way because he wanted to keep its structure more balanced. So this is my understanding. I am wondering whether I am right or not.

Thanks

Gil

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Gil.

(1) I think the sentence you quoted is missing the article "a" in front of "mass market." Either that or
    "mass market" should be "mass markets."
    (2) I don't think your version of that sentence is as good as the original. This really isn't good English: "...made that few individually run... could serve for mass market" If I read it in a book, I'd have no idea what you were trying to say.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Made for' here means something like "tended to create" or "favoured". When I spilt tea on my boss, it made for an embarrassing situation. The size of the nation is favourable for those kinds of mass markets . . .

gil12345

chinese
    'Made for' here means something like "tended to create" or "favoured". When I spilt tea on my boss, it made for an embarrassing situation. The size of the nation is favourable for those kinds of mass markets . . .
    Thanks

QED says make for means help or make possible.

Gil

< Previous | Next >