made manually

• Chez

English English
    If you want to express that something was made by craftsmen/women, with great skill and care, it is usual to say 'by hand'.

'manually' is correct, but sounds a bit 'cold' and formal – it doesn't have the 'care and love' connotation of 'by hand'.

Elahe.najafian

Persian
    If you want to express that something was made by craftsmen/women, with great skill and care, it is usual to say 'by hand'.

'manually' is correct, but sounds a bit 'cold' and formal – it doesn't have the 'care and love' connotation of 'by hand'.
    beautiful response . . . thank you :)

Uncle Jack

British English
    In a technical context, "made manually" is fine, used to distinguish the thing from something else made by an automated process, but in ordinary English, "made by hand" is better, as Chez explained so well.

Myridon

English - US
    I knitted this by hand. I used my hands and knitting needles rather than a knitting machine or a loom.
    I knitted this manually. This sounds so unusual that I wonder if it means you didn't use knitting needles but somehow only your fingers.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I knitted this manually. This sounds so unusual that I wonder if it means you didn't use knitting needles but somehow only your fingers.
    That's a good point.

This product was made manually - what sort of product could this be? Something made without the use of machinery, but with no skill required? I can't really envisage what product could be so described.

Elahe.najafian

Persian
    I knitted this by hand. I used my hands and knitting needles rather than a knitting machine or a loom.
    that really clarifies the point.. thank you :)

Elahe.najafian

Persian
    That's a good point.

This product was made manually - what sort of product could this be? Something made without the use of machinery, but with no skill required? I can't really envisage what product could be so described.
    exactly... I think I can't find a direct equivalent for manually in Farsi..

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Can you tell us what sort of product it is, Elahe? It might help us understand why "made manually" was used.

Also, your original text written by a native speaker of English?

< Previous | Next >