made me have

keilah_5

Spanish - Spain
Hello! If I write “made me have” in the sentence written below that means I don’t have to wear eyeglasses anymore?

“Prolonged bouts of video gaming during my teen years made me have a severe nearsightedness and astigmatism.”

• Barque

Tamil
    Your use of "made me have" suggests that it made you suffer from nearsightedness and astigmatism.

It doesn't sound natural in that sentence however.

Prolonged bouts of video gaming during my teen years subjected me to/made me suffer from made me have a severe nearsightedness and astigmatism.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Hello! If I write “made me have” in the sentence written below that means I don’t have to wear eyeglasses anymore?

“Prolonged bouts of video gaming during my teen years made me have a severe nearsightedness and astigmatism.”
    In AE, the sentence is acceptable, but gave me would be a good replacement for made me have. And "a" should be removed. The wordings suggested in #1 are also good ones.

The sentence talks about having two problems caused by gaming in your teen years. The sentence does not say whether those problems continue until today, or only existed when you were gaming, or stopped sometime in between.

< Previous | Next >