made of sugar?

< Previous | Next >

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hello everyone

In our country, when it's raining (or better: drizzling) and you need to go out and you start complaining about the weather and how you have to drag your umbrella along, someone might say: "What do you need an umbrella for? For these few raindrops? You're not made of sugar, are you?" (= if you were, you would melt down, of course :)
So, what I'd like to know is if there is something similar in English that you might say in such a situation.
Thanks ;)

• The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Hello everyone

In our country, when it's raining (or better: drizzling) and you need to go out and you start complaining about the weather and how you have to drag your umbrella along, someone might say: "What do you need an umbrella for? For these few raindrops? You're not made of sugar, are you?" (= if you were, you would melt down, of course :)
    So, what I'd like to know is if there is something similar in English that you might say in such a situation.
    Thanks ;)
    Hi Stargazer,

I don't think we say anything at all in the UK. We just get on with it without comment. :)

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "Are you made of sugar?" is a very old expression in English (and in England, as a Google search of the expression will show) to express disdain for someone afraid of the rain. A variant was "Are you made of sugar or salt, that you think the rain will melt you?"

< Previous | Next >