Made or making?????

< Previous | Next >

rich7

Venezuela español
All parties had made their utmost efforts, and some positive progress has been made," Qin said. "But we still have to make further consultation discussions so as to confirm all the progress we have been made."

It doesn't sound right to me.. why not "making"?

• gaer

US-English
    All parties had made their utmost efforts, and some positive progress has been made," Qin said. "But we still have to make further consultation discussions so as to confirm all the progress we have been made."

The sentence works fine with "made" if you get rid of "been".

If, however, you want to use "have been" then it must be with "making".

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    All parties have put forth their best efforts, and some positive progress has been made," Qin said. "But we still have to have further consultation discussions so as to confirm all the progress that has been made."

You seem to be a touch attached to the word "made." ;)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    A little more context may help. This was not a native EN speaker:

The latest round of talks stretched into the early morning hours Tuesday, and Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said negotiators would resume discussions later in the day.
    Let's take the original and put it in more idiomatic English.

Before: "But we still have to make further consultation discussions so as to confirm all the progress we have been made."

After: But we still have to engage in further consultations/discussions to confirm all the progress we have made. or...all the progress we have been making.

gaer

US-English
    A little more context may help. This was not a native EN speaker:

Let's take the original and put it in more idiomatic English.

Before: "But we still have to make further consultation discussions so as to confirm all the progress we have been made."

After: But we still have to engage in further consultations/discussions to confirm all the progress we have made. or...all the progress we have been making.
    Thanks, Cuchu. All clear now!

rich7

Venezuela español
    Well, now that you mention it you're right too many "makes" I'm gonna see if I can remember where I read it, probably a cnn's article.

< Previous | Next >