made to a somber stretch of light

dilantoplu

Turkish
Hi guys,

A father and a son (both soldiers) are talking about a dramatic event at the dawn and the father gives a harsh order. This is the comment afterwards:

It was a terse response, still made to a somber stretch of light.

Normally, if the word "still" were not there, I would have thought that he's giving a terse response while a sad (somber) day is coming (i.e. the dawn / stretch of light). But "still" makes me think that these two should be contradicting and I get confused.

Could someone explain it to me in detail please?

Thanks in advance,
Dilan

• dilantoplu

Turkish
    In Renee Ahdieh's book: The Wrath and the Dawn

It is a novel about a killer king, who marries a new girl each day and kills them at the dawn. And this sentence that I'm asking about is from the first day of these killings. Just after he gave the order to kill the first bride.

Andygc

British English
    You are allowed to quote up to four sentences to provide context. Because of the writer's rather abrupt style, I've cheated by editing the punctuation. :)
    They watched the pale light of the early morning sun push back the darkness with slow, careful deliberation.
    The young man ran a hand through his wavy hair, exhaling all the while, “There will be riots in the city streets for this.”
    “And you will put them to rout, in short order.” It was a terse response, still made to a somber stretch of light.
    I think that the writer means that it was still the darkness of dawn, not yet day "... made to a still somber stretch of light." It's not the greatest writing, which is possibly why it's been published on line.

dilantoplu

Turkish
    Thank you Andygc! Yes, I think the author is not a native speaker. :) Because there are lots of weird expressions in the book like this.

I think you might be right, so I'll go with it. Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >