Madonna Schiavona?

shel

English U.S.
I was reading about the black Madonna of Montevirgine in southern Italy, and I read that she is also called the Madonna Schiavona. What does the word "schiavona" mean? The only reference I could find is to a type of sword...Thanks!

• MAVERIK

Italy Italian
    I have never heard it, but I am not born in the south. The only thing is coming in my mind for "Schiavona" is slave or big slave but maybe does not make any sense in English. Are you sure you wrote it correctly?

b2b

Italian - Italy
    I was reading about the black Madonna of Montevirgine in southern Italy, and I read that she is also called the Madonna Schiavona. What does the word "schiavona" mean? The only reference I could find is to a type of sword...Thanks!
    Searching on Internet, it seems that "schiavona" (big slave, literally) referes to albanian or dalmatian populations, but I can't find direct translation of the term.

"d’altra parte in città erano presenti folte comunità straniere organizzate, tra le quali quella greca e quella schiavona (ossia dalmata ed albanese), che avevano propri luoghi di culto" http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storia_di_Ancona

Ciao

micro

Italian Italy
    Also, for example, in Venice there is a place called "Riva degli schiavoni" in reference to sailors of Schiavonia, i.e. coming from the dalmatian coast.

Schiavoni is Slavs.

Note that the word slave (schiavo) comes from Slav, because of Slavs sold as slaves in history.

< Previous | Next >