Madras: city of cotton?

calypso

USA (born), Canada (live) English
I was wondering if there was any connection between the city in India (Madras) and the plaid patterned cloth called madras. I have asked several people about this, including a few South Asians (one from Madras himself), but no one seems to know. I always assumed it must have been a pattern developed or created in the city, but there appears to be no evidence to bear this out. Is it possible that it's just a coincidence? But the pattern had to be called madras for some reason. Does the name have a meaning? If anyone has any information or knowledge on the origins of the word, could you please let me know. It is a small matter, but it's been bugging me for a long time. Thank you,
Calypso

• elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    calypso said:
    I was wondering if there was any connection between the city in India (Madras) and the plaid patterned cloth called madras. I have asked several people about this, including a few South Asians (one from Madras himself), but no one seems to know. I always assumed it must have been a pattern developed or created in the city, but there appears to be no evidence to bear this out. Is it possible that it's just a coincidence? But the pattern had to be called madras for some reason. Does the name have a meaning? If anyone has any information or knowledge on the origins of the word, could you please let me know. It is a small matter, but it's been bugging me for a long time. Thank you,
    Calypso

madras
    1833, in allusion to the former Indian state of Madras, from which this type of bright-colored muslin cloth was exported.

Source