Maestra (sarta)

< Previous | Next >

Gymnasiumcats

English - US
In a letter from 1913, my great grandfather uses the term "maestra" to refer to a woman with whom his daughter had apprenticed as a seamstress ("Maestra Maria"). How best to translate this into English? "Teacher" usually means schoolteacher; "Master" does not connote a woman in English; "Mistress" means lover. I thought of using "boss" or "supervisor" but this does not really connote a learned skill. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

The original phrase: Tutti assieme con la Maestra Maria t’inviano baci e benedizioni...

Last edited:
  • london calling

UK English
    I have come across 'master seamstress' but although 'Everyone including Master Seamstress Maria sends you kisses and blessings' is technically correct it sounds very odd to me.

london calling

UK English
    I don't think I'd say it at all. Not because of 'master' but it sounds odd in English to refer to a person this way. It would be the same if she had been a primary school teacher known as Maestra Maria: 'Teacher Maria' sounds plain weird. And the same goes for some other professions. 'Doctor XXX' is fine but 'Lawyer or Engineer XXX' , for example? :eek:

'Mistress Maria' is fine but it doesn't convey the idea that she was a skilled instructress, although I'm well aware that all those years ago women were not considered professionals even if they were. :mad:

elfa

English
    I have come across 'master seamstress' but although 'Everyone including Master Seamstress Maria sends you kisses and blessings' is technically correct it sounds very odd to me.
    I agree it does sound odd. Having said that, I've looked it up on a certain search engine and there are a lot of references to the term, in particular relating to US degree programmes. What about dropping the capitals and going with 'master seamstress Maria'? If we're talking about a letter dating from 1913, I'm stumped for a more suitable term. :)

< Previous | Next >