maestri d'opera (in un cantiere)

< Previous | Next >

clare lorraine

English - Italy
medieval again!
What is meant by the figure of the 'maestro d'opera'... in my geometry text, writers are ever more sensitive to the requirements of builders, but they

lasciano peraltro ai maestri d’opera il compito di preoccuparsi effettivamente degli aspetti costruttivi

Is a maestro d'opera a master builder ? A supervisor? other? (sticking within medieval-applicable terminology please!)

Thanks
L

• clare lorraine

English - Italy
    thanks everyone, think I'll go with the master builder one. Sesshomarux, not sure what your mean by 'Master builder è Mastro costruttore' - that you agree, or that you think mastro costruttore and maestro d'opera are incompatible? But not art & craft maestro, that doesn't fit with the building environment, I don't think

Sesshomarux

Italian
    First of all, both are ancient speaking words.
    Mastro costruttore is highly professional, but only in classic (style) building.
    Maestro d'Opera is a builder (or timber worker, etc.) but an artist too (sculptor, painter, etc.), in the past lots of artists (Michelangelo, ect.), were direct report to a Maestro d'Opera (or they were maestri d'opera, too)

Both Maestro d'opera and Mastro costruttore basically were head small business.

Mastro Costruttore is synonym of capo mastro (master mason).

Last edited:

clare lorraine

English - Italy
    Thanks for the extra detail. I will definitely stick with master builder.... master mason has far too many Masonic (P2) connections!
    To thank you for your contribution, in English 'ancient speaking words' doesn't make too much sense. I expect you mean 'archaic'.
    and the maestri would be heads of small businesses
    Merci encore!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sesshomarux

Italian
    Thank you.
    I didn't use "Arcaico" because in italian, an archaic manner is more old than Medioeval age.

heads of small businesses, here oversight about the plural:thumbsdown: sob

About the Mason Manner he saw this http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1417393

and i adapted Head small business from Head department->Capo settore, since it would be "Capo Bottega", Bottega isn't the current shop, but it was a name for medieval small business.

See you

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >