maestro guia

victorcortes86

LatAm Spanish
El maestro Guia puede ser de cualquier clase (Español, Matematicas, etc) pero es el encargado directo de una seccion. Asi, si el niño tiene algun problema (de comportamiento), el maestro guia es normalmente el que habla (o modera el dialogo) con los padres de familia.

Original: Mi maestro guia de este año es el profesor de Español.

• victorcortes86

LatAm Spanish
    Head of Department
    I dont think Head of Department would do, as it would refer to the teacher in charge of all other Maths teachers, for example.

Maestro guia is any teacher in charge of a specific class (5th grade "A"), and would normally handle parents meetings, give out report cards, and is responsible to oversee the overall performance of his/her classroom or group.

Talia1987

English
    Oh I see, that´s a tutor.
    In the UK, each year of the secondary school is divided into "forms", usually denominated by letters (like in America). The person in charge of each form, who would do parents´ meetings, reports, pastoral care, discipline, etc, is the tutor. Don´t confuse it with tutors who visit students´ homes to teach them, that´s something else.
    The person in charge of the whole year group is the Head of Year.

victorcortes86

LatAm Spanish
    Oh I see, that´s a tutor.
    In the UK, each year of the secondary school is divided into "forms", usually denominated by letters (like in America). The person in charge of each form, who would do parents´ meetings, reports, pastoral care, discipline, etc, is the tutor. Don´t confuse it with tutors who visit students´ homes to teach them, that´s something else.
    The person in charge of the whole year group is the Head of Year.

So my example would be translated like:

"My tutor this year is the Spanish teacher"

How would people differentiate between tutor (of the class) and tutor (who teaches at home)?

Philippa

Britain - English
    How would people differentiate between tutor (of the class) and tutor (who teaches at home)?
    Hi,
    You'd mainly distinguish by context. You can say 'form tutor' for the first one. If a student said 'our tutor' I'd expect it to be the first, 'my tutor' I'd expect it to be the second. A student recently said to me 'I've studied this topic already with a tutor' and I knew she meant the second one!

Saludos
    Philippa :)

Talia1987

English
    Agree with Philippa. Basically, if they are talking about a school context, they probably mean form tutor (head of form). Otherwise, they would probably actually say "private tutor" or "home tutor" or something.
    But sometimes, it just isn´t clear, and sometimes I myself have had conversations where someone has said "my tutor" and I´ve had to ask "Form tutor, or private tutor?"
    -- Context is not always completely clear! :D

Talia1987

English
    Yeah, I actually knew that, I just couldn´t remember what that expression was, "homeroom teacher". But yeah I mean what I said applies in England at least.

< Previous | Next >