1. KarenS New Member

Cincinnati, OH
    USA, English
    I'm translating a news article from Guinea that talks about "Magasins de Riz." Technically, that would be "rice stores," but I have a feeling it's an equivalent of "grocery store." But I couldn't find a definition anywhere. Anyone familiar with this term?

2. texasweed

texasweed Banned

French-born/US English
    I can't think of a "sous-entendu" here, I don't see how there could be one, but with French, you never know! Et les sous-entendus, je ne les entend jamais... Not very helpful huh? We're on the same boat! ;)

3. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    I think it is a rice store. My thinking is that in certain underdeveloped countries rice is a subsistence crop. These countries probably have shops that sell exclusively rice

4. Lezert

Lezert Senior Member

Midi-Pyrénées
    french, France
    is that a shop or a place where rice is stored? in the first case maybe "magasin de grains" in the second "silo"

5. texasweed

texasweed Banned

French-born/US English
    According to my reading, yes, but.....
    It seems to be cooked, Nuance donc.
    Something like those hot dog stands you see in NY, maybe slightly bigger than "stands" but not by much, where they serve you rice-based meals on-the-go.
    Hope it leads you guys to a closer proposal? Argh I just can't think of one right now. :eek: You're close Ed, I think you can pin it.