Magician Box Mix Up

ARGMAN

Arabic
TV Show
Friends – United States, sitcom. (Season 3 Episode 14)

Script

[Scene: Central Perk, Phoebe is teaching Leslie how to sing Smelly Cat.]

Phoebe: That’s okay. All right, I’m gonna play song that’s really, really sad. It’s called Magician Box Mix Up.

====

What does that mean? Because a laughter was launched after it.

• Copyright

American English
    I can only conjecture, but there are several types of magician boxes -- like the one in which you put a lovely girl, close the door, spin it around and open the door to reveal she's gone.

But if I were betting, I would say that it's the box they use to saw a woman in half: the magician puts yet another lovely girl in a box lying on its side (like a coffin), with the woman's head and feet visible at either end. The magician then closes the lid, proceeds to saw through the center of the box as you would saw through a log, and then pulls the two halves of the box apart -- with the woman's head visible at the end of one box, and her feet visible at the end of the other box.

If there is a mix-up ... well, you don't want to think about that, do you? :D

ARGMAN

Arabic
    I said so. But I searched for "mix-up" meaning (as a noun) and found none, although it seems to be a noun in the sentence!

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I've seen a variation on that trick where the magician had two girls and two boxes; the two halves were separated and then reassembled incorrectly. At the start he had a girl dressed in red and one in green; he ended up with one girl wearing a green top and red pants, and one with a red top and green pants. That, I suppose, could be called a magician box mix-up.

Copyright

American English
    I don't think that's "really, really sad." :) Not being able to put the girl back together would qualify, however.

< Previous | Next >