Maiden/lady/miss/madam(ma'am)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by 涼宮, May 29, 2011.

1. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Good afternoon :)

I know that maiden refers to an unmarried woman, or a virgin woman when it comes to aristocracy.

But, somehow could one use ''maiden'' to address a girl/woman in a polite way without using miss/lady?

Even though it might sound odd or old-fashioned, is it still possible? Why? Why not?

Thank you in Advance!

2. It's not to be recommended. You would sound like some sort of odd-ball.

Stick to miss for a young woman and ma'am for an older woman or one wearing a wedding ring.

Rover

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    "Maiden" is never used as a title of address in contemporary English. I think almost any young woman addressed as "maiden" (as in "Excuse me, maiden, does the bus to Main Street stop here?") would find it bizarre, and more than a little ridiculous.

You may, though, address a female whom you don't know as either "young woman" or "young lady" -- although the first is a little stiff (as in "young woman, I have been waiting here for thirty minutes. Is your manager available to see me now, or not???") and the second has a schoolroom or parental sound to it (as in "unless you pay more attention to your studies, young lady, you will not pass your examinations.") Neither one is deferential.