main current

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
main current -------- A river has a main current that takes most of the water down it, with subsidiary currents where the flow is interrupted.

I know current means flow of water.

But still I couldn't grasp the meaning of the above sentence.

So,

Please simply explain the above sentence

or

explain only the highlighted words.

• mjscott

American English
    I do not get highlighting on my browser--but I can tell you what happens on a shallow river in my kayak. There is a current in the river. Because of erosion, even if it's a shallow river, there is probably more depth of water in that place where the current is strongest. In this river it might have small islands in the middle. If you're not sure of where the current is, you could go one way and end up in a bog. It just seems that the water stops, so you have to back out and try the other way around the same small island. What you discover is that what looked like an island with a split current around it really was just a piece of land jutting out into the river. If it truly is an island, there is still a main current. The other part of the river that might split around the other side of the island might come to barely a trickle before the flow makes it back into the main current of the river.

Good luck!

coiffe

USA
    American English
    I do not get highlighting on my browser--but I can tell you what happens on a shallow river in my kayak. There is a current in the river. Because of erosion, even if it's a shallow river, there is probably more depth of water in that place where the current is strongest. In this river it might have small islands in the middle. If you're not sure of where the current is, you could go one way and end up in a bog. It just seems that the water stops, so you have to back out and try the other way around the same small island. What you discover is that what looked like an island with a split current around it really was just a piece of land jutting out into the river. If it truly is an island, there is still a main current. The other part of the river that might split around the other side of the island might come to barely a trickle before the flow makes it back into the main current of the river.

Good luck!

Perfect!