maintain her dignity by refusing = por negar / negándose

sperdomo

USA, English
Hi,

Should I use the infinitive or the gerund after por? My intuition says use the gerund, but I suspect this might be interference from English. Isn't there a rule in Spanish that one always uses the infinitive after a preposition? My preposition use is probably wrong too.

The protaganist maintains her dignity by refusing to harm another prisoner even though she knows she will be punished.

la protaganista mantiene su dignidad por negarse/ negándose a hacer dano otro prisonero aún ella sabe que sería castigada.

• Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    You should not use the preposition por in that sentence.
    sperdomo said:
    la protaganista mantiene su dignidad por negarse/ negándose :cross: a hacer dano otro prisonero aún ella sabe que sería castigada.
    sperdomo said:
    la protaganista mantiene su dignidad, negándose :tick: a hacer dano a otro prisonero aún ella sabe que sería castigada.

Phryne

Argieland--Esp/Eng
    la protaganista mantiene su dignidad, negándose :tick: a hacer daño a otro prisonero aún (ella) sabiendo que sería castigada.

la protaganista mantiene su dignidad, al negarse :tick: a hacer daño a otro prisonero aún (ella) sabiendo que sería castigada

I don't think you can use the gerund after "por" in Spanish, I can't even think of one single example that could be right.

That's problably your English playing tricks on you! ;)

sperdomo

USA, English
    Thank you, Outsider and phyrne!

As I write, the same question keeps coming up. This time I am using the preposition entre. Should I use the gerund or preposition?

She talks about how difficult it is to make a choice between satisfying your own hunger and sharing your food with soomeone who needs it more.
    ella habla sobre como lo? es dificil a hacer una elección entre satisfaciendo /satisfacer su propio hambre o y? compartiendo/compartir la comida...

What do you think here?
    thanks
    Susan

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Outsider said:
    You should not use the preposition por in that sentence.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sperdomo
    la protaganista mantiene su dignidad por negarse/ :cross: negándose a hacer dano otro prisonero aún ella sabe que sería castigada.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sperdomo
    la protaganista mantiene su dignidad, negándose a hacer dano a otro prisonero aún ella sabe que sería castigada.

Por negarse (o por haberse negado ) denota la causa por la cual ella mantiene su dignidad

En la segunda oración no se aclara cuál fue la causa por la cual ella mantiene su dignidad. Por lo cual no son intercambiables. Por favor ¿qué opinan los demás?

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    sperdomo said:
    Thank you, Outsider and phyrne!

As I write, the same question keeps coming up. This time I am using the preposition entre. Should I use the gerund or preposition?

She talks about how difficult it is to make a choice between satisfying your own hunger and sharing your food with soomeone who needs it more.
    ella habla sobre como lo? es dificil a hacer una elección entre satisfaciendo /satisfacer su propio hambre o y? compartiendo/compartir la comida...

What do you think here?
    thanks
    Susan

Hi Susan!
    You must use "infinitive". You as an English speaking person use the gerund as a noun the same way we use the infinitive as a noun.
    So if you have to make a choice between two nouns you need to use the infinitive in that sentence.

Ella habla sobre cómo es difícil hacer una elección entre satisfacer su propio hambre o compartir la comida

Saluditos!

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Infinitive.
    sperdomo said:
    ella habla sobre como lo? es como es dificil a hacer una elección entre satisfaciendo /satisfacer entre satisfacer su propio hambre o y? compartiendo/compartir y compartir la comida...

sperdomo

USA, English
    Thank you both,

I seem to remember that it is ok to use a gerund as a noun sometimes in Spanish, I just don't remeber when. After these papaers are finished, I'll look up the rules.

I love this site!!

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    sperdomo said:
    I seem to remember that it is ok to use a gerund as a noun sometimes in Spanish, I just don't remeber when. After these papaers are finished, I'll look up the rules.
    See what Artella wrote above. The infinitive is the only verb form that can be used as a noun in Spanish.

Rayines

Castellano/Argentina
    [CODE]En la segunda oración no se aclara cuál fue la causa por la cual ella mantiene su dignidad. Por lo cual no son intercambiables. Por favor ¿qué opinan los demás?[/CODE]Creo, Artrella, que al usar el gerundio se entiende que fue ésa la causa. Quizás sería un poco más correcto decir :"....al negarse...", en este segundo caso.:arrow:
    Puse "code", en vez de "quote", por error, para la cita, pero quedó lindo igual, no?:)

< Previous | Next >