maintenance/ conservation/upkeeping?

Inara

Hello everyone!
I am not sure about the word to use:

It is also important to remember that technologies of this type require significant conservation/ maintenance/ upkeeping and have yet to evolve into more reliable and economic solutions that would allow their generalisation and wider application in domestic environment.

Actually, I am not very sure abou entire sentence :) Could you, please, help? Thanks a lot!

• silversurfer

Hindi - Indian
    I would suggest - conservation
    Because I think you are trying to express two contrary attributes.
    Since 2nd attribute is - to evolve (i.e. to change)
    This preposition is further strengthen because you use "yet"

chat9998

English, US
    Hi Inara,

Well, I would say the choice is between "maintenance" and "upkeep" (you could use upkeeping, but upkeep sounds better to me in this situation). It depends on who you are talking to. "Upkeep" is a little less formal of a word, but it is becoming more widely used in those situations. In this example, maintenance and upkeep would mean the same thing, so it is up to you! Conservation doesn't work real well, and as far as I know, isn't used very frequently in these types of situations. Otherwise, the sentence sounds fine! However, if it is geared toward an American audience, I would point out that "generalization" is spelled with a "z" here. :)

Hope that helps,
    God bless,
    Jeff

Kelly B

USA English
    I prefer maintenance. In a context like this, conservation would mean protecting something from damage; maintenance is taking action to keep something up-to-date and in working order. I think upkeep is too informal.

At the end of the sentence, I'd suggest domestic environments. If you retain the singular, I'd use an article.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    As the disagreement in the posts so far suggests, you have a clear example here of the essence of English, which is to provide vocabulary choices without firmly-fixed rules as to how to use them. This makes personalization of language possible for people who have grown to crave increased "nuancing" in their expression, after years of using the baseline language we all have in common.

What makes this example perfect is that it represents the complete triad of etymological sources-- French, Latin and Anglo-Saxon.