maintenance or remodeling

< Previous | Next >

kva

USA
Russian
I am looking for a general term that describes the process of painting, hardwood floor installation and small fixes in the building. It does not involve any remodeling or instalation of new appliences in the kitchen. I am thinking the word that will be between "maintenance" and "remodeling" in terms of the meaning.

• El escoces

English - UK
    maintenance or remodeling
    I am looking for a general term that describes the process of painting, hardwood floor installation and small fixes in the building. It does not involve any remodeling or installation of new appliances in the kitchen. I am thinking that the word will be between "maintenance" and "remodeling" in terms of the meaning.
    Hello kva,

In British English, we would call painting etc "decorating", or "redecorating". Since you are talking about carrying out other processes as well, I would suggest refurbishment, which is a process that might be total, or might be only partial or even just minor. It sounds like you are talking about minor refurbishment.

I have taken the liberty of correcting your small number of spelling mistakes. :) I have not corrected "remodeling" because although in British English it is spelled "remodelling", your spelling is correct according to American English.

JCEst

English -Ireland
    It would also depend on the process. How long does it take, or is this continuous work? Other than that, I completely agree with El Escoces.

kva

USA
    Russian
    Thanks for your replies!

This is a relatively small project that would take a few weeks. Mainly repainting and hardwood floor replacement. I'm not sure if I can use the word "maintenance" here since this is not continuous work. Given the size of the project, I hesitate to call it "remodeling" ))

Thank you for your help!

johndot

English - England
    I would call it jobbing maintenance: that is, general short-term maintenance where each separate job may be of a completely different nature.

George French

English - UK
    I am looking for a general term that describes the process of painting, hardwood floor installation and small fixes in the building. It does not involve any remodeling or instalation of new appliences in the kitchen. I am thinking the word that will be between "maintenance" and "remodeling" in terms of the meaning.
    My first thought was maintenance: because maintenance was a large chunk of what I did for a living.... Maintenance is a very general concept...
    The only re-modelling effort I can see is the hardwood floor installation: the rest is maintenance.

GF..

Now is the new hardwood floor maintenance or remodelling? As an ex-engineer, it's maintenance, to others, it could be "remodelling". But the rest is just maintenance.

So in this case there is both maintenance and remodelling. What's in a name?? ;)

< Previous | Next >