majteczki

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, I saw a Polish film made in 1960's and I heard the word "majteczki" I could not see what it was but the contexts was clear it must have been a male underwear. Did majteczki mean male underwear in 1960s as well??? I think it could have been "majteczki (gimnastyczne)". You know guys/gals male underwear fashion was different in 60s. Thanks.

• zaffy

Polish
    It is a diminutive form for pants/underpants. We use 'majteczki' when addressing very small kids only, plus mostly girls. You could use it to an adult woman in a sexual context, e.g. 'Załóż kochanie jakieś seksowne majteczki' or "Hmmm, te majteczki pobudzają mnie". If you said 'majteczki' to an adult male, I would just burst out laughing. :)
    I don't think 'majteczki' referred to males in 1960's, unless small boys.

ps. we say 'spodenki gimnastyczne', not 'majteczki gimnastyczne'

Last edited:

zaffy

Polish
    Well, that might be possible if they are very tight, perhaps kids training athletics might wear such. Yet, these days, with the problem of paedophilia, it does sound risky. If a male PE teacher said to the parents something like "Proszę ubierać dzieci w majteczki gimnastyczne", the parents could start feeling suspicious or I would, at least. :)

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Yes, I think the year 1960 makes the problem a little bit more complex. But you still think, majteczki was for kids only, no normal male underwear?

Encolpius

Hungarian
    I think we need a person in his 70s or 80s to understand the languages in 60s. I think fashion expressions can be a hard stuff (mostly for men). :)
    # Jasio: And you just uses the short word majteczki, not "majteczki gimnastyczne" right?

I made some research (I do not want to provoke anybody, my Polish is poor) but what do you think about this (briefs used to be popular even in 1980s

POLSKIE MAJTKI SLIPY MĘSKIE BAWEŁNA L JAKOŚĆ

jasio

Firstly, using "majteczki gimnastyczne" back then was justified, because in early 70s I was a child - so diminuation was quite in place (as @zaffy pointed out, it still is when referring to child's garments). At the time I used to wear "majteczki", "koszulki", "spodenki", "buciki". Nowadays I wear majtki, koszule, spodnie i buty instead. Only "skarpetki" remained unchanged, and I use them as often as "skarpety". ;-)

Secondly, I prefer "spodenki gimnastyczne", because similarly to "spodnie" the word refers to the outerwear (which is a paradox, because the word 'spodnie' itself literally means 'underwear'. But the fashion changes). "Majtki", "majteczki" sound too intimate for a piece of cloth which is designed to be worn outside. I'm not sure how today's mothers call their sons' gymnastic shorts, but referring to grownups' garments they are called 'spodenki gimnastyczne' or simply "spodenki". I'm not a sports fan, but still I cannot imagine phrases like 'Lewandowski założył białą koszulkę i czerwone majteczki' being broadcasted, while wearing red 'spodenki' is quite ok. The same would apply to Deyna or Lubański, btw.

Thirdly, "majtki" is quite regular and neutral, albeit I have an impression that nowadays "slipy" or "slipki" is used more often for male pants - at least to name the commercial products, because for obvious reasons I do not talk about "majtki" with other people too often. If you have to, it's typically being replaced by "bielizna", which is a more general term.

PS. If you shared more details about the film you referred to, and perhaps a specific scene, it could be easier to discuss the details, as we still do not have the specific context.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    I think I get the point now. The problem is not the word, but the diminutive, right? You wrote: "I wear majtki". :idea:
    So majtki is OK, majteczki sounds uncommon?

zaffy

Polish
    'Majteczki' is very common when referring to small kids, especially small girls, aged anywhere between 0-5, I would say. As Jasio said, when talking to kids, we love diminuation. So this refers not only to 'majteczki', but any garment, e.g., spodenki, koszulka, bluzeczka, śpioszki or pieluszka. I have a 5 year old daughter and I often say to her "Ubierz piżamkę i do spania." or "Przebierz majteczki'

Ben Jamin

Polish
    …. the word refers to the outerwear (which is a paradox, because the word 'spodnie' itself literally means 'underwear'.
    Are you sure that "spodnie" got its name from the "underwear" function? What about denoting a garment worn on the lower part of the body?

jasio

Are you sure that "spodnie" got its name from the "underwear" function? What about denoting a garment worn on the lower part of the body?
    Spodnie były noszone pod spodem - pod żupanem, który był odzieżą wierzchnią. Jedna z przyczyn, dla których w Polsce wyśmiewano modę cudzoziemską, bo dla współczesnych mężczyźni wyglądali, jakby w samych gaciach chodzili.

< Previous | Next >