make a bowl game

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In this case, 'make' means something like 'succeed in qualifying for'.
    Bowl Games are events at which outstanding football teams from different leagues* play each other to find out which is the best team of all the teams in all the leagues.

The article tells you that only 10 schools had teams that qualified for all three of these events:
    Bowl Game, [football]​
    NCAA Basketball Tournament [basketball]​
    Baseball Tournament [baseball]​
    These would be different teams playing for the same schools: a football team, a basketball team, a baseball team.
    Other schools had teams that qualified for one or more of the events, but not all of them.

* league
    definition 2:​
    a group of athletic teams organized to compete chiefly among themselves: a bowling league.
    Sports is not my best subject. I hope I have this right. If it isn't right, someone will correct me. :oops:

Flora8850

Chinese
    Wow, Thanks for your detailed explanation. I thought there're two events so I got confused. So, generally speaking, A Bowl Game doesn't seem to refer to other kinds of sports competitions except for football, right? If I change the headline into "Only 10 Schools Made A Bowl Game, both NCAA Basketball Tournament & Baseball tournament", will it still mean three events?

kentix

English - U.S.
    It would still be three, but since they are all equally important and independent from each other we would never combine two together like that, even if they both began with NCAA. By the way, all the bowl games are NCAA-affiliated, too.

The NCAA is the overall organization that runs and regulates all college-level sports.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    It means that only 10 schools (colleges/universities) fielded teams that were:
    selected to compete in a football* Bowl game (this is not determined by a formula);
    qualified for the NCAA basketball playoffs; and
    qualified for the NCAA postseason baseball tournament.
    *Not "soccer".

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Well, it is missing a few necessary words to make it grammatical.

Only 10 Schools Made (it to) A Bowl Game, and both the NCAA Basketball Tournament & Baseball tournament.

Flora8850

Chinese
    Thanks. It's clear.

It would still be three, but since they are all equally important and independent from each other we would never combine two together like that, even if they both began with NCAA. By the way, all the bowl games are NCAA-affiliated, too.

The NCAA is the overall organization that runs and regulates all college-level sports.
    Thanks a lot!

< Previous | Next >