make a commitment to your own mind and the possibility...

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

To live creatively is a choice. You must make a commitment to your own mind and the possibility that you will not be accepted. You have to let go of satisfying people, often even yourself.

(This comes from waldorftoday.com Inside the Box: People don’t actually like creativity by Jessica Olien.)

1. Does the blue part mean "make a commitment to your own mind and make a commitment to the possibility..."?
2. What does the "commitment" mean here? A promise?

Thanks in advance!

• ironman2012

Chinese
    This seems to be Olien's attempt to tell us that we should believe in ourselves and our talent and prepare ourselves for the possibility that other people won't accept us.
    I can understand "the government's commitment to public services" and "commitment to providing quality at a reasonable price", but I still can't understand the "commitment" here. Could you please explain it in details?

owlman5

English-US
    There's not much to say, ironman. If you "make a commitment to your own mind", you resolve to trust your own instincts and thoughts about things. You don't allow yourself to be swayed by what others think of what you want to do in life.

If you "make a commitment to the possibility that others might not accept you", you resign yourself to that possibility, and you refuse to let the rejection bother you.

That said, I thought Olien's language was a little awkward and strange.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >