make a left over the bridge

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
When you get to the intersection of 219/39 you make a left over the bridge into the town of Marlinton.

http://www.oldclarkinn.com/map.html

Hi. There is no picture so I am not sure the meaning of the highlighted sentence. Does it mean turn left, and you can see the bridge is in front of you, and then you walk over it? Thanks

• WyomingSue

English--USA
    Turn left in order to go over the bridge (and drive over it) into town.
    If you look at the map you are presumably following the directions from the north (from Elkins or Snowshoe Mountain). See how if you are on 219, when you get to the intersection with 39 you would turn left and go over a river (the thick brown thing in the overhead map) and then go into the town?

sdgraham

USA English
    It's a rather idiomatic way of saying "cross the bridge and turn left."

Obviously one cannot turn if one is hovering "over (above) the bridge."

There are some previous discussions of "cross over," I believe.

JamesM

Hmm... I would read it as "turn left first, then cross the bridge", not "cross the bridge first and then turn left." For the left to come after the bridge I would expect "turn left past the bridge".

WyomingSue

English--USA
    I would read it as "turn left first, then cross the bridge", not "cross the bridge first and then turn left."
    And if we look at the directions in the link we can see that that's what the owners of the Old Clark Inn want you to do.

sdgraham

USA English
    Hmm... I would read it as "turn left first, then cross the bridge", not "cross the bridge first and then turn left." For the left to come after the bridge I would expect "turn left past the bridge".
    Aha.... that old ambiguity problem. As Wyoming Sue points out, the answer lies in just where the bridge is located with respect to the original line of travel.

Good points.

Bigote Blanco

Hmm... I would read it as "turn left first, then cross the bridge",:tick: not "cross the bridge first and then turn left." For the left to come after the bridge I would expect "turn left past the bridge".
    In English one can:
    1. make a left and cross the bridge
    or
    2. make a leap across the bridge:D (this requires more skill and ability)

WyomingSue

English--USA
    Well, RedGiant, have we solved your problem for you? Are you planning to go to West Virginia on vacation? It will be cooling off about now. Be sure to take a jacket. :)

< Previous | Next >