make a telling point

< Previous | Next >

Jacoba

España español
Could anyone explain the mean of

"he made a telling point when he visited this country"

(The background: This country was being ignored by the international community, and the visitor was a very relevant person in international theatre)

Thank you very much for your answers

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Could anyone explain the mean of

"he made a telling point when he visited this country"

(The background: This country was being ignored by the international community, and the visitor was a very relevant person in international theatre)

Thank you very much for your answers
    It means to make an important point, or a significant point. People will interpret his visit as meaning something, perhaps as showing a new attitude to the country.

The visit tells us something; it means something.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thank you, Thomas Thompion, for your quickly answering.
    Yoy are most helpful.
    Jacoba
    Jacoba, it should be 'for your quick answer'

Looking at it again I see that he made the telling point when he visited the country.

This suggests he made the point in a speech.

I misread it earlier to mean that it was the visit itself which made the telling point.

I hope that's clear now.

Jacoba

España español
    Thanf you for correcting my english. Unfortunately, it's so poor

But, just a question:
    would there be any nuance of sense between making 'the' telling point and making 'a' telling point?

(The text says "he had made 'a' telling point when he had briefly visited this country")

Thank you again.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thanf you for correcting my english. Unfortunately, it's so poor

But, just a question:
    would there be any nuance of sense between making 'the' telling point and making 'a' telling point?

(The text says "he had made 'a' telling point when he had briefly visited this country")

Thank you again.
    No, it's not poor, and you must forgive me for correcting you when you were sending me such a nice message.

I don't think there's any special difference between a telling point and the telling point, which isn't typical of the difference between the distinction between a and the in general.

The distinction is fundamental and of great importance, and any grammar book will, I'm sure, explain it clearly. If you have any particular problem about it, start a new thread.

Jacoba

España español
    It was not an irony. I am grateful for any comment which can help me to improve my english. So, point out all my mistakes, if you have the time and the patience! I find it very nice.
    Anyway, as far as my question was concerned, I think your first explanation is more accurate (in my text). So, even if the second explanation could be better, I prefer the first one. Thanks again

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Context will determine which is meant, Jacoba, but you should know that the second explanation is not fundamentally "better" than the first. As a matter of fact, I think the first is more likely. "When he visited this country" need not mean "after he visited this country"; it can also mean "by visiting this country."

Another example:

The president offended millions when he used a vulgar word in his speech.

"When he used" could be replaced by "by using."
    The sentence is not saying that the president used a vulgar word, and thereupon proceeded to offend millions.

< Previous | Next >