make about 25 times as big as COCA

< Previous | Next >

zhshy

Mandarin
Dear all,
I have just read this sentence:
iWeb is about 14 billion words in size, which makes about 25 times as big as COCA (560 million words) and about 140 times as big as the BNC (100 million words).

I tend to think this sentence should be revised by inserting "itself" between "makes" and "about", but considering its source, I don't believe such a simple mistake should have been made. So I suppose it's correct but beyond my comprehension. Could anyone explain this for me please?

Thanks in advance.

• zhshy

Mandarin
    Oh, I'm astonished that this is really a mistake! But since "it" represents iWeb, which is just the subjective of the sentence, why "itself" doesn't work?

Myridon

English - US
    "Itself" is used to refer back to the subject. The subject of the clause is "which." "which" is "being about 14 billion words in size."
    iWeb doesn't make itself 25 times as big.
    Being about 14 billion words in size makes it 25 times as big.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I don't think any word is necessarily missing.
    Consider replacing "makes" with "is": "iWeb is 14 billion words, which is 25 times as big as COCA."
    That sentence would be fully acceptable.
    So—is it legitimate to replace "is" with "makes"?
    It may be modeled on expressions like "Two plus two makes four", the equivalent of "Two plus two is four".
    In this sentence, "makes" seems to mean "is a quantity equal to".
    I'm not saying that "makes" was the best possible word choice in this sentence, only that it's not necessarily an error.

Linkway

British English
    You're right that something is missing, but the missing word is 'it'.
    :tick:

Part of the context is that this is not from a published book, rather a PDF document published on a website, and the pdf contains numerous typos in various other parts of the document.

< Previous | Next >