(make, achieve) (do, do)

< Previous | Next >

Ambitious Learner

Arabic
We make solutions, you achieve success.
We do solutions, you do success.

These two sentences are puzzling me, I really don't know which one is more familiar ? What is your opinion?

• Ambitious Learner

Arabic
    Hello Beryl, and thank you for welcoming me :)
    I am devising a slogan to a company. I recommend the second one but would it be familiar to native speakers such as you? (English wise)
    I am not sure if we can use the word (do) with (solutions and success) or not?
    Hello Ambitious Learner, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

What do you mean by familiar? And where did you find these examples? :)

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I see. In that case we have to proceed with caution. Because of our rules, we're not allowed in this forum to assist in the creation of a slogan of any sort. What we can do is evaluate the use of language contained within your slogan and assess how natural sounding it is in the context of a slogan.
    We cannot suggest alternatives or engage in any form of brainstorming.

Ambitious Learner

Arabic
    What we can do is evaluate the use of language contained within your slogan and assess how natural sounding it is in the context of a slogan
    It would be a great help to me if you can evaluate the use of language contained within my slogan and assess how natural sounding it in the context of the slogans.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Okay then .. I'll have a go. :)

"We do solutions, you do success." This certainly is the kind of vocabulary and slightly off grammar that we've come to expect from slogans.
    With regard to specific concerns over the use of 'doing a solution' and 'doing success', yes, I think that would pass in the context of a slogan.
    If you hang around here for any length of time you'll see 'I'm sorry, we don't DO proofreading'.
    I heard Alistair Campbell (UK political figure) a few years back saying 'we don't do God' (= our politics is secular ~sort of).
    I don't get through a week without hearing someone saying 'you do the math(s)' (= draw your own conclusions ~sort of).
    I've heard a British comedian say '...do an opinion' (= express an opinion or opine)
    I'd say it was comprehensible, alliterative, symmetrical and memorable.

< Previous | Next >