make an arrangement to pay

Pino76

Could anyone explain to me the exact meaning of this phrase, please? Does that simply mean "to pay" or to arrange payment for something? It seems to be used only or mostly by the Brits and it's always related to tax or some kind of a debt, (not to a payment for a service or goods etc.):
"If you do not repay in full or make an arrangement to pay, you may incur additional costs."
"What happens if I want to make an arrangement to clear what I owe?"

Last edited:
  • baldpate

UK, English
    An arrangement (to pay/clear a debt) might mean paying the debt over a period of time, by installements, rather than immediately paying the total amount due.

owlman5

English-US
    If you "make an arrangement to pay", you agree to pay but you are unable to pay the full amount at one time. You may arrange to pay a certain amount of money every month toward the bill.

Cross-posted with baldpate.

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    In the context of bailiffs, it means to agree a payment plan, i.e. promise to pay off the debt by a certain amount each month, for example.

(cross-posted with the above replies)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    And it's not especially British; the same phrase may be used, with the same meaning, by Americans, although we'd more often say "set up a payment plan".

< Previous | Next >