Make an introduction

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by mpavey, Jun 24, 2014.

1. mpavey New Member

English, United Kingdom
    How would you best translate the phrase "to make an introduction" to German? Meaning, I know two people who would benefit from meeting each other, so I introduce them to one another.

Example: thanks for offering to make some introductions for me.

My best attempt: danke, dass Du mir angeboten hast, mich mit einigen Deiner Kontakte in Verbindung zu setzen.

2. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Hi, mpavey. Are these "introductions" face-to-face, or, can they also occur via the Internet?

3. Frieder

Frieder Senior Member

Danke für dein Angebot, mich bei Firma XY einzuführen.
    Danke für dein Angebot, mich mit Herrn XY bekannt zu machen.

To make some introductions afaik can't be translated linearly into
    an idiomatic German phrase.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  4. mpavey New Member

English, United Kingdom
    Thanks both! In this context I was specifically referring to introductions being made via email, to individuals whose names (and whose employers' names) I don't yet know.

5. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Thanks for a little more into, mpavey. If you don't know them yet, it can be a little tricky.

In American English, I am not that familiar with "to make an introduction" in this context.

That said, I'd start with Frieder's "Danke für dein Angebot ...", but I might end it differently.

Danke für dein Angebot, meine Kontaktinfo weiterzuleiten.

That's my (perpend's) understanding at this point.

6. bearded

bearded Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Perpend's suggestion is a good one, but I have a little objection. The OP wrote ''mich mit einiger deiner Kontakte in Verbindung zu setzen''. Consequently, I would modify that suggestion as follows:
    Danke für dein Angebot, deine Kontaktinfo an mich weiterzuleiten.

7. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Hi, bearded. I think, though, if I've understood correctly, that the person speaking wants to thank the second person for this second person's spreading the first person's "Kontaktinfo" to others, thus "introducing" the first person's info to the second person's contacts.

8. bearded

bearded Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Hi perpend. You are probably right, but then the OP's 'translation attempt' was not too accurate..

9. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    I wouldn't say it's far off (mpavey's idea), but to quote Frieder.

I think this is the difficulty at the heart of the matter.

10. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    Ich kann dich auch "jemandem vorstellen" im Internet - LinkedIn (in its German translation - which you probably don't see) uses that wording too.

11. Gensefleisch Banned

German
    Mein Englisch ist leider nicht auf dem Niveau anderer Teilnehmer, aber "to make an introduction" = Ich möchte Ihrer Firma ein Angebot machen. (I would like to make your firm an offer??) Ich nehme diese Übersetzung nur aus dem Kontext heraus:)

12. bearded

bearded Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    @ Gensefleisch
    Introduction und offer bedeuten nicht dasselbe: Offer ist ein Angebot, ein Vorschlag. To introduce someone bedeutet ''jemanden (jemandem) vorstellen''.
    Siehe den Originalsatz ''Thanks for offering to make some introduction'' = Danke für das Angebot, einige ,,Vorstellungen'' durchzuführen.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  13. michael137 Member

German - Austria
    Nach den üblichen Umgangsformen (Etikette) stellt man Personen einander vor,führt sie in bestimmte gesellschaftliche Kreise ein oder macht einander bekannt. Der Vorsteller bürgt mit seinem gesellschaftlichen Renommee, für denjenigen, den er in seinen Kreisen bekannt macht. Dafür dankt eben der Vorgestellte. Der Vorsteller unterbreitet damit keinesfalls ein Angebot. Ich tendiere daher zu den Vorschlägen von Frieder.

14. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello :)

I like these suggestions. I think they can refer both to meeting people and to Internet contacts.