Make/cause/raise

< Previous | Next >

superb1

Polish - Poland
I have a sentence:
However, the more dependant we become on the internet, the more we need to understand how exactly people are using it and whether there is anything wich should genuinely cause/make/raise us concern.

I was sure that the word "make" fits it best but in key I have the answer that the word "cause" is correct.

So I find definitions of these three words but for me they are almost the same:

cause - to make something happen, especially something bad

make - to cause somebody or something to be in a particular state or to change to another state

raise - to make somebody have a particular feeling or reaction

Could you explain why the word "cause" is the best?

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    The other words would need to change due to the way the other verbs are normally used.
    ... which would genuinely cause us concern. (cause concern to us - concern is a noun)
    ... which would genuinely make us concerned. (cause us to become concerned - concerned is a past participle adjective)
    ... which would genuinely raise concern. (no "us" is possible because "raise" doesn't take two objects)

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The only one that is grammatically correct in your sentence is "cause." It also happens to be the one that collocates best with "concern," although we do say that something "raises concerns about..."

[Cross-posted with Myridon]

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    cause -- 'to make something happen, specially something bad.' It takes a direct object, like 'us'. "Cause us concern" means something like 'cause concern for/in us'

make - to cause somebody or something to be in a particular state or to change to another state
    : 'concern' is not a a state, but a noun. The word for the state is 'concerned'
    anything which should make us concerned.

raise - to make somebody to have a particular feeling or reaction.
    The feeling or reaction should be the direct object:
    anything which should raise concern in us.

Thus, 'cause' is the only one that works grammatically.

Cross-posted.

< Previous | Next >