make clear the order of the article please

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
We know that articles are usually written in a proper order. Sometimes the orders are called threads.Suppose I want my students to work out the thread or order of an article, can I say "make clear the order of the article please"? We Chinese usually say like that in Chinese, but I'm not clear if it works in English as well. If not, how to say it?
Thank you very much!!!

• Copyright

American English
    What do you mean by article here -- a magazine article? If so, I know of no "thread or order" that articles follow. If not, perhaps you can explain.

Copyright

American English
    Hello again ... I'm going to have to take exception to your first sentence: "We know that articles are usually written in a proper order." I have no idea what that means. :)

longxianchen

chinese
    Sometimes we write an article in the order of time. Sometime we write in the order of logic. I need to go to my class. Hope you are fine recently, Copyright.

Copyright

American English
    Perhaps: Describe the order the article is written in: chronological order, logical order, stream-of-consciousness order, etc.

Giving examples of what you want seems helpful, but if you've been discussing the various orders in your class, they may not be necessary in your question.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you. I don't have my students discuss various all the time, but sometimes when necessary. What I want to know is if "make clear something" is correct. For example, "please make clear the the organisation of the article". I know "make something clear" works, but I never saw "make something clear" before. That's why I posted here

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    Now I have known "clarify" and "make clear " are interchangeable. A American told me we can say "make clear the structure of an article".

Copyright

American English
    I prefer "describe" to either of those: "make clear the structure of the article" can seem like I am supposed to take a muddled article and make better sense of it.

suzi br

English / England
    I am not sure about your context for this instruction.

Do you want to see this clarity in the actual essay a student will submit, or in a plan submitted first, or in their analysis of a text?

Forero

Hi, LongXianChen.

It seems you mean "explain" instead of "make clear". Explaining includes things like giving reasons and going into detail. Making clear just means making easier to understand.

longxianchen

chinese
    It seems you mean "explain" instead of "make clear". Explaining includes things like giving reasons and going into detail. Making clear just means making easier to understand.
    Students here usually only read articles without noticing the stuctures. So I want to remind them to analyse them and figure out the structures.
    Thanks for your reply

Copyright

American English
    I don't know what you have decided on in your own mind, but "make clear" is not very good, as we have explained. All of your explanations are better, e.g. Analyse and explain the structure of the article.

longxianchen

chinese
    Ok. Next time I will use "analyse and explain the structure" , rather than "make clear the structure",which is not proper in that case. Thank you very much

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    All your answers are very usuful. But I suddenly feel I didn't get myself clear here, so I have to add something more.

I meant that my students are not clear about the structure of an article, so I want them to analyse it and get more clear about it themself. And I didn't want them to explain it to me. In other words, I only want them to undertand the structure clearly in their own mind. So how should I instruct them to get more clear about it? Is it "try to analyse and figure out / understand the structure"?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >