make controversial statements about

82riceballs

English - USA
Hi all,

I'm trying to say the following in Chinese-
"The Starbucks CEO made some controversial statements about Israel, resulting in young Middle Easterners mass-boycotting the company."

Here's my (failed) try- 星巴克董事長發言了以色列相關且有爭議的話,造成中東年輕人大量抵制星巴克

Any help is appreciated- thanks!

• 82riceballs

English - USA
    Thanks skatinginbc!

Another question I had is, in English we would the phrase "made some controversial statements" would be considered casual/i.e. if I were talking to my friends about this incident, I would say it that way. Would you also use 發表了涉及以色列的爭議性陳述 in casual conversation?

dolmens

中文 - 中国
    星巴克CEO发表了一些关于以色列的争议性言论,引起了中东年轻人对这间公司的大规模抵制。

董事长 is the chairman of the board, and CEO can be translated to 首席执行官
    发言: intransitive verb or noun
    发表: transitive verb
    了: past tense particle
    性:adjective particle
    这间公司:the company, you should better avoid repetition of the company name, as in English

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    Would you also use 發表了涉及以色列的爭議性陳述 in casual conversation?
    No.
    I like Dolmens' 爭議性言論 better. It was actually what first came to my mind, but I chose 爭議性陳述 instead because 维基百科 has 争议性陈述, which led me to assume (probably wrongly) that it is a common expression.

Last edited:

GoldDaHu

Chinese - China
    Thanks skatinginbc!

Another question I had is, in English we would the phrase "made some controversial statements" would be considered casual/i.e. if I were talking to my friends about this incident, I would say it that way. Would you also use 發表了涉及以色列的爭議性陳述 in casual conversation?
    Usually, the phrase "爭議性陳述"(or 争议性陈述 in simplified Chinese) seems too formal in casual occasion, it seems like a title of a piece of news. If you want to talk about this news to your friend, you could say "星巴克CEO 说了 一些 关于 以色列 的 不当言论"

Besides, CEO doesn't mean "董事长" in Chinese (even in some enterprises the CEO and chairman of the board are one person). I do think "董事长" means the the chairman or president of the board, but CEO is usually translated as "首席执行官" or "行政总裁" or "总经理" ("首席执行官“ is most widely use).

retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    Well, no matter it is 争议性陈述, 争议性言论 or 不当言论,they all are too formal. I think the English version is too formal already.

s60301

Mandarin Chinese -Taiwan
    星巴克執行長發表了一些關於以色列的爭議性言論,(此舉)造成中東年輕人大規模抵制該公司

Last edited:

ElGarcia

Chinese - Mandarin
    争议性言论 or 不当言论 sounds colloquial enough for me, though they can be used in formal contexts as well. The latter might be a little harsher (presuming that the "controversial statements" are improper). 争议性陈述 is little used in simplified Chinese, even in formal discourse. If you want it to be really casual and don't care too much about translating word for word I might say "星巴克CEO 公开/公然 (supposedly they were statements made in public) 评论/谈论 以色列(和中东的关系?)“ or ”星巴克CEO 表示同情/支持 以色列“ as the tension between Israel and other ME countries can be considered as a well-known fact for both parties of the conversation.

< Previous | Next >