make conversation and have a conversation

ajna

SPAIN, spanish
Hello everyone!

I'm new here, so please be patient with me if I don't do things well.
I would like to know the diference between "make conversation" and "having a conversation".
Thanks a lot.

• Merlin

Philippines - Tagalog/English
    ajna said:
    Hello everyone!

I'm new here, so please be patient with me if I don't do things well.
    I would like to know the diference between "make conversation" and "having a conversation".
    Thanks a lot.
    Welcome to the forums!
    "Make a conversation" means there's no conversation going on yet. You have to "Start a conversation." Introduce a topic or be the one to start talking to "make a conversation." "Having a conversation" means that a conversation had already started. Or you're already in the middle of a conversation.
    Hope this helps. I'm sure others have a better explanation.:D

Isotta

English
    Welcome--

"To make conversation" indicates that it is not natural and more closely resembles small talk. For example, a man is sitting next to a woman who is reading a book on the metro. He attempts to engage her in conversation by mentioning the weather, her shoes, today's news, and annoyed, she finally responds, "I'd really like to read my book in peace." He might respond, "Sorry, geez, I was just trying to make conversation."

"To have a conversation" means that you and your conversation partner are successful in discussing a topic or range of topics without too much difficulty.

Isotta.

Merlin

ajna said:
    Thank you to everybody.

You have helped me so much, and really fast.
    You're welcome! Fast? yes because I'm at work and always checking on new posts and try to help and of course ask for help also. This Forum had helped me a lot! Hope we could be friends too.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Just to be clear, to make conversation is not the same as to start a conversation.

Make conversation suggests very strongly (as Isotta said) that this is difficult, and that either or both of the people involved really do not want to talk. There could be many reasons for this.
    A natural conversation, that would be described as having a conversation, does not need to be made:)
    Two rival candidates for the same job are sitting outside the interview room. They either sit in silence, or they make conversation:D

Merlin

panjandrum said:
    Just to be clear, to make conversation is not the same as to start a conversation.
    Thanks panj! Just what I thought. I was confused with start/make. We learn from our mistakes:D

GenJen54

USA - English
    Originally posted by Merlin
    "Make a conversation" means there's no conversation going on yet. You have to "Start a conversation." Introduce a topic or be the one to start talking to "make a conversation." "Having a conversation" means that a conversation had already started. Or you're already in the middle of a conversation.

Hi merlin,

I just had a teeny correction to your original reply.

If I recall, we do not use the indefinite article "a" with "make a conversation." As has been stated in other posts, it is simply "make conversation."

jhayke

philippines-english
    hi!i have here my doctors findings on my problem.pls if you can tell me more. Thyromegaly with parenchymal changes?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    jhayke:
    Welcome to the WordReference Forums.
    Here we talk about language and the use of language.
    You need to discuss questions about medical conditions with someone who is professionally qualified.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    jhayke said:
    hi!i have here my doctors findings on my problem.pls if you can tell me more. Thyromegaly with parenchymal changes?

If you would like to participate in discussions of language, please read the forum rules before posting again. Dropping a question into a discussion of a totally unrelated topic is not very kind.

Thanks Jhayke,
    Cuchuflete

Merlin

GenJen54 said:
    Hi merlin,

I just had a teeny correction to your original reply.

If I recall, we do not use the indefinite article "a" with "make a conversation." As has been stated in other posts, it is simply "make conversation."
    Thanks GenJen54. Silly me:eek: Another lesson learned. That's why I love this place!:D

Ashraful Haque

Bengali
    "I need to learn conversational English to be able to have conversations with foreigners."
    I'm guessing 'have' is correct here?

Packard

USA, English
    Welcome--

"To make conversation" indicates that it is not natural and more closely resembles small talk. For example, a man is sitting next to a woman who is reading a book on the metro. He attempts to engage her in conversation by mentioning the weather, her shoes, today's news, and annoyed, she finally responds, "I'd really like to read my book in peace." He might respond, "Sorry, geez, I was just trying to make conversation."

"To have a conversation" means that you and your conversation partner are successful in discussing a topic or range of topics without too much difficulty.

Isotta. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

I do note that small talk is really a way to determine where someone fits in the social spectrum which helps determine how to relate to them. I do not find small talk offensive; I think it is required to effectively relate to someone new.