make/give/do a presentation

Cecilio

Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
Hello. One question: What verbs can I use with "presentation"? "Make" and "give" are ok, but is it possible to say "do a presentation"? Would it sound too strange?

• NealMc

UK English
    Hi

Deliver is used a lot.
    Provide
    Perform (if you're pretty enthusiastic about your subject)

Make wouldn't be used. Give however is used a lot. Do would be used - but only informally.

Cheers
    Neal Mc

Cecilio

In all the reference material that I'm using it seems that "make" is the most usual verb for "presentation". Is this maybe the American usage?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    What kind of presentation are you talking about?

If this is the presentation of a gift to someone in a formal context then I would expect make.

If this is a powerpoint presentation of information to an audience, I would expect give.

Cecilio

What kind of presentation are you talking about?

If this is the presentation of a gift to someone in a formal context then I would expect make.

If this is a powerpoint presentation of information to an audience, I would expect give.
    I am more interested in the second type of presentation.

aqueoushumour

English England
    I would say either give a presentation or do a presentation although the latter is more informal. I've got to do a presentation. Using 'give' is better english but the use of 'do' is fine.

sweet caramels

english
    Make a presenation or give a presentation. Both are correct but I'm just wondering which one you say. I say to give a presentation

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    I agree with you that give sounds better, but I would not correct someone who said make.
    To me, make a presentation sounds like what you would do to prepare the presentation. Then you would give the presentation.

Momerath

British English
    By "give a presentation" I assume you mean give an expose (possibly using Powerpoint or something similar).

If you were presenting somebody with a gold watch upon his retirement, you would say "make a presentation".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, I suspect most of us feel we know which meaning of presentation you have in mind. However, it would be good for you to say which you mean, so we can be certain. :)

Cecilio

Yes, I suspect most of us feel we know which meaning of presentation you have in mind. However, it would be good for you to say which you mean, so we can be certain. :)
    When I asked the question (for than 4 and a half years ago!), I had in mind a presentation with the meaning of a lecture, or a public talk on a subject.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Cecilio,

Thank you for responding. :)
    I should have made clear that my question was directed to sweet caramel, who most recently revived this thread. As you can see, your question is good one, and has been useful to other people since.

Flavius!

Italian, French
    Hi

Deliver is used a lot.
    Provide
    Perform (if you're pretty enthusiastic about your subject)

Make wouldn't be used. Give however is used a lot. Do would be used - but only informally.

Cheers
    Neal Mc
    After a Google search:
    - "Make a presentation" has
    10,200,000 results (probably because it has more than one meaning...)
    - "Give a presentation" has 8,720,000 results
    - "Do a presentation" has 4,450,000 results

sweet caramels

english
    When I asked the question (for than 4 and a half years ago!), I had in mind a presentation with the meaning of a lecture, or a public talk on a subject.
    I too had the following in mind:

I had in mind a presentation with the meaning of a lecture, or a public talk on a subject.

Lib' et Lule

FRANCE/français
    To be honest I'm a bit confused, I thought we could say "to make a presentation" when we talk about Powerpoint presentations and that kind of things.
    Look here: How to make presentations , it comes from a British university and the title on the tab says "how to make presentations"...and they're not talking about gifts.
    Any thoughts?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ...And the first sentence of the article reads: As part of an extended interview/selection centre you may be asked to give a short presentation.

Both are possible; give is better for all the reasons stated above.

heyraquel

English - United States
    My understanding is that "make a presentation" refers to "creating" a presentation (although we wouldn´t use the word "create") and that "give a presentation" refers to the actual talking.

< Previous | Next >