Make it ____ (any/another)day you like

< Previous | Next >

Yichen

Chinese
-- When shall we meet again?
-- Make it ____ day you like, it’s all the same to me.
A) one
B) any
C) another
D) some
Key B

The answer is B, I think it is a reduced way of "any other".
I can't tell why C is not correct. Could it be possible?

Many many thanks.

• VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Only B works. And it's not "any other" either.

Compare:
    -- When shall we meet again? Let's make it Friday.
    -- No, make it any other day, but not Friday.:tick:

-- When shall we meet again? Let's make it Friday.
    -- No, make it another day you like, it’s all the same to me.:tick: (it doesn't mean, however, that any other day will be fine)

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    A) one
    B) any
    C) another
    D) some
    Key B

Many many thanks.
    Hello Yichen,

I think B is the most probable, but you'd hear C in certain circumstances - if the last meeting had been on a day which the questioner had said he liked.

D would be possible too - if the last meeting had been on a day which the questioner had said he didn't like.

Terrible question!

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Hello Yichen,

I think B is the most probable, but you'd hear C in certain circumstances - if the last meeting had been on a day which the questioner had said he liked.

D would be possible too - if the last meeting had been on a day which the questioner had said he didn't like.

Terrible question!
    "In certain circumstances" means coming up with some additional context that is not present in the question.
    Besides, the phrase "it’s all the same to me" strongly implies option B.
    So considering it a standard quiz question, it's not at all terrible.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    "In certain circumstances" means coming up with some additional context that is not present in the question.
    I find this meaningless, because no context is 'present in the question', so any context can apply.

There are circumstances in which several of these answers are appropriate and the question doesn't exclude them. That's what makes it a poor question, in my view.

Happy Christmas!

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    But we do have a context already. 1. A meeting took place. 2. One speaker asks when to meet again. 3. The key phrase "it’s all the same to me".
    These three points make B the only possible option.

And nobody in the question said anything about (dis)liking the day of the meeting.

Merry Christmas!

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    A) one
    B) any
    C) another
    D) some
    Key B

Many many thanks.
    Hello Yichen,

B is a perfectly satisfactory answer, but then so are C or D.

It's all the same to me does not mean that the speaker is indifferent between all days. It's the sort of thing someone might say when several days have been suggested and the choice is limited to the days mentioned - in those circumstances D would be a more probable answer than B, perhaps.

So Make it some day you like is entirely idiomatic and not excluded by the context we have been given.

Make it another day you like would be fine if the first speaker had just indicated that he had a strong preference for some days over others.

I can't easily think of a context in which Make it one day you like would be very natural, but I don't doubt some people might say it.

I find it a poor question because several of the answers are very possible and could easily be said by native speakers in the circumstances given us.

Where did you find this question? I'd look carefully at other questions from this source.

< Previous | Next >