Make it in one piece

minhduc

vietnamese
Hi there, how can I understand this phrase?

The context is when the mother said goodbye to her son, she said: "Call me when you get in, all right? Just so I know you made it in one piece."

Does it mean she wanted to know that if her son arrive home safe and sound or not?

Thanks,

• VicNicSor

Russian
    Do I correctly understand that literally this expression means that the person on their arrival has not been broken/torn apart, all parts of his/her body are still together — s/he is still one piece (of a whole body).
    Thank you.

Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    Yes, I think so - you haven't lost a limb.

I thought it might be an ancient nautical allusion to a boat returning "in one piece", but there is no evidence for that. The earliest OED reference to its "figurative" use is dated 1929:

I returned to the ravine..reaching the bottom all in one piece with nothing more serious the matter with me than torn fingers.

In this context I suppose the phrase could be taken almost literally.

VicNicSor

Russian
    Yes, I think so - you haven't lost a limb.

I thought it might be an ancient nautical allusion to a boat returning "in one piece", but there is no evidence for that. The earliest OED reference to its "figurative" use is dated 1929:

I returned to the ravine..reaching the bottom all in one piece with nothing more serious the matter with me than torn fingers.

In this context I suppose the phrase could be taken almost literally.
    Thank you:)

< Previous | Next >