make it work out

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by dressageangel, Mar 22, 2009.

1. dressageangel Member

USA; English
    Hallo,

I would like to write "Now I will try to make Elizabeth's dates work out." ("dates" refers to dates that she is traveling).

Is this at all close? "Ich versuche jetzt, Elizabeth's daten deichseln."

It sounds awkward and wrong to me...I don't know what to do with it. :(

Thanks for any help!

2. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    "Ich versuche jetzt, Elizabeth's daten deichseln."

Well the "dates" are translated wrong, I guess you mean "Termine" ("Date" in German is a rendezvous)

"deichseln" is a very nice word but a bit colloquial here :D

"Ich versuche jetzt Elizabeths Termine zu arrangieren."

Maybe "festlegen" is also possible, "work out" has too many translations. What is the context?

Possesive "´s" without apostrophe in German (with a few exceptions)

3. Sidjanga Senior Member

German;southern tendencies
    Reisedaten may be a perfectly valid word to use here, but I too think that first more context would be necessary or at least very helplful.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. dressageangel Member

USA; English
    Thanks for the reply!

RE: deichseln - whoops..I got it from dict.cc and should have realized that it wasn't the right choice!

'Work out" refers to my arranging the dates that Elizabeth wants to travel so that they fit (work out/match/mesh) with the dates that other people (traveling with her) wannt to travel.

It goes a little bit beyond just arranging the dates - I need to arrange the dates so that her dates will work out with everyone else's dates.

I hope that makes sense! Thank you, and tut mir leid for writing this in English. :)

5. Sidjanga Senior Member

You could say:

Ich werde versuchen, Elisabeths Reisedaten auf diejenigen ihrer Reisepartner/Mitreisenden abzustimmen.

6. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    "Ich versuche jetzt Elizabeths Termin(e) für die Reise(n) (mit den anderen Personen) abzustimmen."

Singular without brackets, plural with them. I´m just wondering why she has dates for a journey. ;)

7. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Have you really ever heard the word "Reisedaten"? :D

"Reisedaten" sounds more like: How many people travel? Where do they go to? What plane do they use? When do they go?

8. Sidjanga Senior Member

I don't think the idea is ihre Reisedaten mit den anderen Personen abzustimmen (=that the others are ok with her dates), but rather to match the dates of her flight(s) with the dates of the other peoples' flight(s), train(s) etc.

In this case it has to be abstimmen auf.
    About a hundred thousand times.
    For example, it appears on every train or flight ticket or accompanying printout, says "Ihre Reisedaten", and gives you the details about your departure and arrival times and if and when you have to change planes/trains etc.
    See here and check the entries.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  9. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    It depends (again) on the context.

"abstimmen auf" -> the other person´s dates cannot be changed

"abstimmen mit" -> all dates can be handled flexible.

10. Sidjanga Senior Member

I think that's quite clear.
    [highlighted by underlining and in bold by me]

11. dressageangel Member

USA; English
    Thanks for the replies! They're all helping to educate me. :)

Yes, genau. :)

The other person traveling (whoops, there is only one other person.. I see in my other post I wrote "people" by mistake) has their plans pretty much set/arranged. I'm trying to match Elizabeth's schedule so that they end up in the same place at the same time. It's a combination of travel and also appointments that they have scheduled in different cities. The idea is that they go to their respective different appointments, and then end up in the came city on the same day.

This is why I wanted to say that I was trying to make her dates work out.
    Setting up her dates and appointments isn't the problem... setting them up so that she will finish in the same city on the right day is.

I hope that isn't too confusing!!! Thank you again so much. :)

12. Sidjanga Senior Member

Ok, then I would make some changes to my original suggestion:

Ich werde versuchen, Elisabeths Reisedaten und Terminine[=appointments] auf diejenigen der anderen Person / ihres Kollegen/ihrer Kollegin / von X abzustimmen.

The underlined part really depends on who the other person is - a colleague of hers or someone else, and how personal/impersonal (with(out) their name) you want it to be.
    Depending on that, there are various possibilities.

13. dressageangel Member

USA; English
    Thank you for the update. They're friends (platonisch) who want to take this vacation together after their other appointments in the various cities are finished (those are job-related).