make over (to)

< Previous | Next >

dusan

Turkish
Hello,

Could someone please paraphrase the "made him over to" in the following sentence?

Many thanks in advance!

"He also surrendered his son Leonardo as a hostage, and Murad made him over to his son Mehmed, though later he left the Seraglio a Christian as he had entered it."

• JustKate

Could you tell us where you found this, dusan, as well as a little more of the context? Who is being talked about here, and what is the general situation that leads up to this sentence? As it is, I can't quite tell who the various hes refer to.

dusan

Turkish
    Thank you for your answer, JustKate.

It is cited from the English translation of a book written in Italian in 1500s about the Ottomans.

Maybe this preceeding bit could give a little more context that you need? And I really don't know where to start to tell about what is going on, who is who, since the author of the book just goes on and on narrating continuously. :) Murad was an Ottoman Sultan, by the way. As for the Carlo Tocco:

"<<Excess quotation deleted>>He fought bitterly with the aforesaid bastards, and some of them sought the help of Murad, claiming that their father’s lordship belonged to them; for they knew that the Turks make no distinction between legitimate and bastard sons. Others of them went to the Despots of the Morea, and one to the Signori of Venice. Murad and his army invaded Epiros, occupied Arta and Angelocastro and many other places; and the said Carlo Tocco was forced to live in Santa Maura, where he still held Zakynthos, Ithaca and Cephalonia, and to pay annual tribute to Murad. He also surrendered his son Leonardo as a hostage, and Murad made him over to his son Mehemeth [Mehmed], though later he left the Seraglio a Christian as he had entered it."

Last edited by a moderator:

JustKate

"Made over" (in this context - it can mean many different things) means "gave ownership to." If Leonardo was actually considered a slave, he could have been literally "given" to Mehmed as property. If he wasn't an actual slave, then the way I would interpret this is that Murad gave authority over and custody of Leonardo to Mehmed.

Myridon

English - US
    I read this as Murad adopting Leonardo as his son and changing his name to Mehmed. (Leonardo's changing of his name to an Islamic name could indicate a temporary conversion.)

dusan

Turkish
    JustKate and Myridon - Thank you very much for efforts! I do appreciate them a lot.

It's turned out to be very confusing now to me since your interpretations make perfectly sense in the whole context of the book. I'll in the end choose one of these and translate accordingly.

Once again, thank you.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    As I read the passage, Murat gave Leonardo to his son Mehmed. The boy (what age was he?) was being kept as a hostage, (presumably as a guarantee of Tocca's good behaviour), which meant that he was eventually returned to his family. The boy may well have grown up as a companion to Mehmed, or as a servant, but we aren't told that. He wasn't seized and given to a Moslem family to be brought up as a Moslem.

< Previous | Next >