make/play a prank call on/to somebody

< Previous | Next >

sonix

Spain
What's the right way to say it - I am interested only in the grammar points, I know the meaning already, thanks -:

He made a prank call on his cousin.

He made a prank call to his cousin.

He played a prank call on his cousin.

He played a prank call to his cousin.

or maybe : He prank called his cousin (I think this last phrase means to give a missed call on a mobile phone to somebody in collloquial english these days, so I'm not sure it could mean to make a prank phone call as a joke thing too) ?

Thanks in advance.

• Thelb4

UK English
    One makes a call to somebody.
    One plays a prank on somebody.

So either of the following is correct:
    He played a prank on his cousin.
    He made a prank call to his cousin.

or maybe : He prank called his cousin (I think this last phrase means to give a missed call on a mobile phone to somebody in collloquial english these days, so I'm not sure it could mean to make a prank phone call as a joke thing too) ?
    "He prank-called his cousin" means that he made a prank call to his cousin. It doesn't mean "to give a missed call on a mobile phone to somebody".

sonix

Spain
    Thanks for the answers. Just want to mention to Thelb4 that, as explained in the post mentioned by panjandrum, nowadays lots of British speakers use the verb prank when they mean giving missed calls to somebody, the same way is popular in London to use the expression `to drop call sb´ for that meaning. Anyway, I want to thank you because you made clear that when used as a joking phone call, the correct expression shoukd be, I take it, `to make a prank call to somebody´.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >