Make south = Make a turn to the south?

< Previous | Next >
  • natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Agreed, make South makes no sense to me either. Make for the south​ is possible to mean 'start a journey towards the south'.

carolmoraiss

Banned
    Portuguese
    I saw this in an Irish short-story. They are in a hotel that is flooding, a character says:

"'Would we want to be making south? Mick Harty wondered.'" - Fjord of Killary - Kevin Barry

Thanks!

Andygc

British English
    I can't see what this has to do with turning left, but to me "to make south" is perfectly ordinary English for "to go in a southerly direction". I certainly don't see it as any form of regional dialect.

wandle

English - British
    'Make' meaning 'make progress' or 'proceed' is standard English. The OED gives this as meaning 70 b intr:
    to proceed in a specified direction
    including the following example:
    1841 Dickens Barnaby Rudge lix. 277 He..made straight towards a distant light.

Loob

English UK
    ... to me "to make south" is perfectly ordinary English for "to go in a southerly direction". I certainly don't see it as any form of regional dialect.
    That's fascinating, Andy; it definitely doesn't work for me.

"Make for the south" - yes. "Make toward[s] the south" - yes, possibly. "Make south" - no, definitely not:(.

Pedro says that "make south" is Irish dialect. I'm wondering whether you have some Irish in you...?

--------

Ah, a further thought, knowing that you're a sailor: perhaps it's a sailing term?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >