make sure the car is back with the tank full

Joika

Chinese
Hello everyone,

Would you tell me if they all work or which one works best?

self-made sentence for a translation exercise:
1) you can drive my Rolls-Royce, just make sure the car is back with the tank full.
2) you can drive my Rolls-Royce, just make sure the car be back with the tank full.
3) you can drive my Rolls-Royce, just make sure the car will be back with the tank full.

I assume 2) and 3) work better than 1) because they describe things that haven't happened in reality?

Thank you!!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    All of them are incorrect because of punctuation and capitalization errors.

If those are corrected, #2 is still wrong, and #3 is correct only if you mean that the person who will be driving the car is not the person who is going to return it. You haven't provided the exact context, so we can't say for sure.

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    “… just make sure you bring it back with the tank full.”
    I was just about to type this very response. It is how most people would respond.
    This said, I accept only your first sentence. As Florentia stated there are punctuation errors.
    You have two sentences and each should start with a capital letter. After reconsideration, I
    can accept sentence 3 but I wouldn't use it.

cross-posted

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    1) you can drive my Rolls-Royce, just make sure the car is back with the tank full. :confused:
    1) You can drive my Rolls-Royce. Just make sure the car comes back with the tank full. :tick:
    1) You can drive my Rolls-Royce. Just make sure to return the car with a full tank. :tick:
    1) You can drive my Rolls-Royce. Just make sure to fill up the tank before you return the car. :tick:
    There are many more variations.