Make up for it!

Juju333

French
Say someone had to dance in front of everyone but it was chaotic (let's call him Dan). Then it's his friend's turn (Jack) and Bob (another guy) says to him:
"Ok that's your turn. Make up for it! His performance was so bad!"

Can I say "Make up for it" here to mean "because it was bad try now to do something very good to make it better, to fix it, to make it right or sort of balance it out". If not, what can you say?

Thank you!

• Leeeroy

Polish - Poland
    Logically, your encouragement for the guy to do better should follow rather than precede your assessment of the previous dancer's performance. His performance was so bad, try to make up for it sounds good to me.

I'd probably say What a pitiful display (that was); let's step it up (a notch), Jack! (as if it were a team effort)

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Say someone had to dance in front of everyone but it was chaotic (let's call him Dan). Then it's his friend's turn (Jack) and Bob (another guy) says to him:
    "Ok that's your turn. Make up for it! His performance was so bad!"

Can I say "Make up for it" here to mean "because it was bad try now to do something very good to make it better, to fix it, to make it right or sort of balance it out". If not, what can you say?

Thank you!

I'd say you can.