Make up test

< Previous | Next >

Malice

French
Hey guys,

Is "rattrapage" (when you failed a test and have to take it again) a correct translation for make up test ? (or is it makeup test ?)

Thanks

• sangha

English, USA
    Oui, tout à fait, "a make-up test" or quiz. On peut aussi tout simplement dire a make-up. "I have to do a make-up."

misterk

English-American
    In my experience, a "make-up test" is a test given to a student who (because of illness, family travel, etc.) was not able to be present when the test was originally administered.

Do other anglophones use "make-up test" to refer to a second chance to be tested on something after you've failed once, as in post #1, above??

Does French differentiate between these two scenarios?

sangha

English, USA
    In my experience, a "make-up test" is a test given to a student who (because of illness, family travel, etc.) was not able to be present when the test was originally administered.

Do other anglophones use "make-up test" to refer to a second chance to be tested on something after you've failed once, as in post #1, above??

Does French differentiate between these two scenarios?
    Good question re: anglophone usage. I agree that a make-up test is for someone who couldn't take it with the rest of the class. If a student fails a test and is given a second chance, she would retake the test.

Hazel *

French - France and English - Canada
    Well to me "rattrapage" is any work (wether test or other) that has not been done in class and must be done afterwards. I would simply say "refaire le test". To me "rattrapage" does not mean do something again. It means to do something you should have done earlier.

Locape

French
    I meant it for 'le bac(calauréat)' or any exam, 'le rattrapage du bac' or 'examen de rattrapage'. For something you should have donne earlier, I would use 'rattrapper' (je dois rattraper les cours que j'ai manqué).

catheng06

Français
    Hi,

Well for the 2019-2020 (French reference) baccalauréat....... It's gonna be weird ....

NORMALLY for the Baccalauréat
    - if you get an average between 8/20 and 9.90/20 - well let's say 9.60 depending on your "livret scolaire" /teachers' appreciations/- you will have to take "le rattrapage/oral de contrôle" which means you'll have to take take some exams (oral only) to try to improve the grades you got after the written test (in June generally)

sort of : it's high time you wake up and show what you're capable of .......;
    (no further expense for the gvt for an extra year............o_O)

Pessimistic or extra realistic ..............

This year will be different ...... (worse):

In French we say :
    - passer l'oral de controle
    - être au rattrapage
    - l'avoir au rattrape / à l'oral de contrôle (nobody brags about it - personne ne le dit/ne s'en vante ............- my English is poor ! /corrections welcome/)

May be it helps.....

< Previous | Next >