... make us face new problems

snoopy82

Portugal - Portuguese
Hi everyone,

Can I say in English that something "would make us face new problems"? Should I adapt it to "would raise problems/issues"?

Context:

Other works have shown that, in Spanish records, there are several very important sources that would be relevant to list and study, and that would make us face new problems.

Thanks in advance

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If I were going to use your original construction, I would say: "would require us to face new problems."

"Would raise problems" is also idiomatic.

These don't mean exactly the same thing, as I suspect you realize, but they are equally acceptable in my opinion. I suggest that you choose the one that is truest to the text you are translating.

snoopy82

Portugal - Portuguese
    Thanks for the suggestions, Cagey.

I remembered I can use the verb "present" in this context. The sentence would thus change to:

Other works have shown that, in Spanish records, there are several very important sources that would be relevant to list and study, and that would present us with new problems.

Is it ok to say "present us with problems" in this context or do I have to use "present problems" alltogether?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Present us with new problems" seems fine to me.

"Present new problems" would be sufficient, I think. Readers would assume that these would be problems for anyone concerned, including "us". However, you may prefer the more personal sound of "Present us with ...."

< Previous | Next >