"Make yourself at home"

Purple08

France French
Hello,

Could you tell me if "Make yourself at home" is familiar or not.
For example, can one, as a company, say that to a customer ?
Or does one have to say "Make yourself comfortable" , or "...at ease" ?

Thank you in advance,

Purple

• namlan

Banned
    Vietnam
    Dear Purple08!

- As far as I know. "Make yourself at home" and "Make yourself comfortable" are still very common. I haven't heard of ".......at ease". Hope this helps.

P/s: By the way, why don't you search with WR dictionary before you post? I think this is better. I believe other moderators will agree with me on this :)

Best regards,

NamLan

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    Hello,

Could you tell me if "Make yourself at home" is familiar or not.
    For example, can one, as a company, say that to a customer ?
    Or does one have to say "Make yourself comfortable" , or "...at ease" ?

Thank you in advance,

Purple
    House vs. Business

Jack to a guest in his house: Joe, if you need anything, just make yourself at home. The fridge has milk and juice, and the TV controller is on the sofa. You've got full run of the place.

Joe: Thanks!

In the USA, it is becoming fairly common to say "mi casa es tu casa" for "my house is your house." We adopted that from our Mexican friends.

HOWEVER, if Joe is at Jack's business, Jack would likely NOT say that. He would say this:

Hey, Joe, just feel free to browse around, and if you need anything, just let me know.

prankstare

Portuguese - Brazil
    Well, I get a lot of "make yourself comfortable" and "mi casa es tu casa", much more than "make yourself at home" (from American movies that is to say). Thus, I think the two are probably the most common ones (at least in the USA).

"At ease" sounds more like militar language or something.

"The Babylon Dictionary" said:
    - At Ease!

Stand in a relaxed position (command given to soldiers)

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Make yourself at home is a very common expression. One might say it to a visitor at one's house, because it means "treat my house as you would treat your own home".

It would, however, be bizarre and inappropriate for a busines owner to say to a customer "treat this shop or this office as you would your own home". Thus, "make yourself at home" would be a strange thing thing to say in a business setting.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    It would, however, be bizarre and inappropriate for a busines owner to say to a customer "treat this shop or this office as you would your own home".
    Agreed. I could see a salon owner saying this to a new stylist who was setting up his/her station or in other business contexts where an employee is settling in to stay for a long time. I really couldn't see anyone saying this to a customer.

Purple08

France French
    Right, I didn't precise the context, it could be a retail store, as you said. No, the context is a french small company which makes corporate videos for other companies. After welcoming an english or american customer, the manager was wondering what to tell him just in order to stricke up a conversation and makes him feel good. That's all :)

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Right, I didn't precise the context, it could be a retail store, as you said. No, the context is a french small company which makes corporate videos for other companies. After welcoming an english or american customer, the manager was wondering what to tell him just in order to stricke up a conversation and makes him feel good. That's all :)
    When people visit my company, we usually offer them coffee while they're waiting for whoever they're there to see. I can't think of a standard expression to use in this context.

Purple08

France French
    Thank you. It's somehow like when I meet some candidate for an interview as a recruiter, I look for this kind of expression to make the candidate feel confortable, implying that he can take off his jacket if he feels like, etc.

< Previous | Next >