makes a superhero's night table

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
The police commissioner is introducing Chase, a psychologist, to Batman:
-- (.......) She specializes in...
-- [Batman, interrupting] Abnormal Psychology, multiple personalities. I read your work. Insightful. Naive, but insightful.
-- [Chase] I'm flattered. Not every girl makes a superhero's night table.
Batman Forever, movie

If a writer makes someone's night table, does that mean the one reads the writer's book before sleep? Is it a common expression? Thank you.

• se16teddy

English - England
    It is not a common expression, and certainly not a conventional symbol.

I guess it refers to a little bedside table that you might put your book on when you finish reading in bed, and go to sleep. The speaker's book is so good that it might be found on Batman's bedside table.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    The speaker's book is so good that it might be found on Batman's bedside table.
    It's not that, exactly; it's merely that Batman read it -- and he presumably only finds much time to read shortly before bed -- so he would set the book on his nightstand before going to sleep. The sentence doesn't imply that the book is there now, only that it was there while Batman was reading it.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you for the answers.
    I think that the book you're currently reading, is resting on your night table for the whole period until you finish reading it. Say, for a week (you read it in bed, then put it on the night table, and it's there until the next night when you take it to read it again).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >